Citrix launching a new version of their Netscaler application delivery controller got me wondering why we still don’t have a multi-cloud Netscaler equivalent, capable of providing load balancer and traffic management capabilities across AWS, Google, Azure, and if you insist, Softlayer too?
I don’t think I’m asking for much, all I want is:
- Automated creation (and destruction) of new back-end servers (or containers, Lambda, etc) in each cloud provider
- Monitoring based on the metrics provided by each cloud provider and external ones such as latency
- Routing of different URL patterns to different cloud providers depending on application deployment
- Support for automated DNS record updates using multiple DNS providers
- Distributed control plane so in the event of any one cloud failure, routing and updates continue
Even this operating in multiple AWS regions would be a big step forward over the standard AWS Elastic Load Balancer service, but if cross-cloud operation is to become normal, then this is one of the more straightforward services required.
So, when can I get it please?